Carpet restoration is essential whenever emergency water damage and flooding happens in home or place of business. Replacement of carpets can be a major expense and many times disposal after damage is not always necessary when proper steps are followed to clean, recondition and restore existing carpet.
These are several conditions to look for when determining the severity of damage and the probable success rate for restoring carpets and rugs without replacement:
- How long have carpets been continually immersed in water. The longer the carpet sets in water the more damage is done to its backing. The carpet fibers are held together with a polyurethane backing which can be damaged by water. A trained professional can determine this extent and provide a carpet restoration plan accordingly.
- What type of water is involved with the damage? Black Water a category #3 such as raw sewage or rainwater that has passed over contaminates is highly unsanitary and can cause illness or even death. Clean up and restoration must only be performed by a qualified technician who then can determine the proper course of action. Many times carpets are removed rather than restored when this heavy contamination exists.
- Carpets pre-existing condition before the water damage occurred. One thing to consider “Is this carpet worth saving?” Sometimes carpets are already suffering deterioration with heavy wear and use needing replacement before any water damage takes place.
With the exception of some of these previous severe examples carpet restoration techniques can bring back the fibers and life of carpets to a pre-flooded state.
The first step is to extract all standing water from carpet and floors. This is so important because within 24-48 hours clean water can grow mold (fungi) and bacteria. The carpet and padding acts like a sponge containing this moisture and must be removed quickly.
Check our demonstration on how to repair carpet with an entire can of paint spilled on it
Once water extraction is performed high speed fans are used to help dry out the surface area of the carpet. These specialized fans can be placed under the carpet also for faster drying and elimination of moisture from carpet fibers.
Also used at this time are commercial grade dehumidifiers that remove moisture out of the air quickly and eliminate the danger of secondary water damage and its effects. Eliminating this harmful moisture is by far the single most important step when successful carpet restoration is performed in home or office.
Additionally anti-microbial treatments are required to inhibit the growth and spread of mold and mildew from carpets and flooring. Within 72 hours under right temperature conditions mildew can start feeding off the organic matter in the carpet and mold can form and start germinating. This must be prevented by using anti-microbial treatments applied by fogging and spraying.
With timely carpet restoration foul smelling odors from moisture trapped in fibers and padding are eliminated. If carpets are not reached in time for extraction and drying and an odor is present several different actions can be taken to eliminate this as well.
Replacing padding and cleaning carpets with hot water extraction equipment also know as steam cleaning is an effective step in eliminating foul odors. Also the use of fogging treatments with powerful enzymes that break apart the molecular bonds of odor-causing compounds and eliminate both odors and harmful contaminants are effective.
When water damage strikes flooding your carpets and flooring our water damage restoration professionals are trained and equipped with the latest technology and proven industry standards to provide the highest quality care and service to you.
Call us today and consult with one of our carpet restoration service professionals to successfully restore your home or business with the least amount of stress and strain on you and your family.
We provide professional carpet restoration in Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Jenks, Owasso, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, and surrounding areas within a 50 mile radius of Tulsa.
- 30+ Years of Experience
- We Pay upto $1,500 in deductible
- 45-min response time. 24x7 Service.
For non-emergencies, book online:
- Flood Restoration
- Water Damage
- Water Extraction
- Restoration Drying
- Mildewcide Applications
- Clean & Sanitize Carpets
- Residential Cleaning & Restoration
- Commercial Cleaning & Restoration